Saturday 1 November 2014

Windhammer 2014 Review: The Puttbuster Initiative: Spacetime Golfcrush

This has got to be the most hilarious entry this year. The characters, the game system, the setting were all whimsical and all added to the entry's appeal. Or to summarise it in one word, Awesome!

The Puttbuster Initiative: Spacetime Golfcrush is an entry which puts readers to play golf, not regular golf but inter-dimensional future space golf! The story was that I am an a newcomer to the pro tournament, and must win to get enough prize money to repay my debt. Silly plan? yes, and honestly just a plot to explain why my character is risking his life to play golf with no upgrades unlike my competitors.

The game was played with very well illustrated er... golf-fields? (apologies, I am not very good with golf terminologies) that were cut into different sections. Where will your ball land on depends on your upgrades and your die's mood. But each time you land on any of the squares, there will be challenges such as a monsters to fight, acid splashing onto you, or your ball zapped into oblivion all of which can be negated with the correct upgrades.
How I imagine the 3-platinum drive looks like

The writing was fantastic and adds to the whole silliness of the entry. The commentators were hilarious and I always look forward to what they had to say after a swing. However, I feel they seem to get less and less funny as the game progresses, a slight downer.

However I do have some nit-picks though:
1) After you finish a hole you get money to buy upgrades, the better you perform the more money. However, the holes will get harder so upgrades become even more important. So how well I perform in this game is dependent on how well I did in the 1st hole which is dependent on the mood of my die which I felt is a bit unfair.

2) The commentators were awesome, however I felt the they could be made funnier. Their characteristics were great but I think there is an untapped potential in there.


All in all, this in a very enjoyable entry, hugely recommended. I can totally see it in an phone app someday. 


No comments:

Post a Comment