Sunday 12 April 2015

Penang World Music Festival 2015

Just yesterday I attended the Penang World Music Festival held in Esplanade. It was raining at that time and all the crowd (which numbered 100) hid under the tent's shelter. Although some were crazy enough to dance under the rain with umbrellas. But fortunately by mid-show, the rain stopped and that means I gets to boogey close to the stage.


The festival was 6 hours long and was packed with performances with a good mix of contemporary, urban, fusion style, and......... pffffffft, okay I don't know what all those words mean because my artistic vocabulary is very limited, so I will describe the performers in one sentence to the best of my abilities:

1) Nanding Rhapsody (Sarawak, Malaysia)
"Iban Akademi Fantasia"

2) Tarabband (Sweden/Egypt)
"I'm in Sweden but I missed the spices and camels"

3) Ajinai (Inner Mongolia, China)
"Heavy Metal horsemen that are tired but had a shot of cocaine in the end"

4) Prem Joshua & Band (India.... well one of the band members is Indian)
"Curry-flavored-marijuana"

5) Annuluk (Germany)
"Yodeling Jazz"

6) Dizu Plaatjies & Ibuyambo (South Africa)
"How I imagine African music to be like after watching The Lion King"

I had a real blast that night. The only thing that saddens me the low attendance. All these musicians are really fantastic! And to be able to listen to 6 bands for RM80 is pretty cool! I really hope this event gets another green light for next year because I'm going again for sure!

So, please click on the links and check out their music while I go download some of that sweet sweet marijuana curry.





No comments:

Post a Comment